Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Let's Begin...

My sister says, "You have a very empty wordpress." I say, "I don't use that one. I have a blogspot now.. Which I don't use either." And so I realized that to be a good food blogger, or a food blogger at all, I must actually post entries to my food blog.

How exciting that my first ever blog post is about my first ever homemade cinnamon rolls! Right?? I snagged this recipe from Tartlette, and followed it to a T. These are YUMMY and I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of this recipe..being yeasty and all. But as is with many yeasty things, the most difficult part is waiting for the rise. Anyway, I am very much looking forward to making these again and again!

Cinnabon™ Knock-off Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 12 rolls

For the dough:
1 pkg. active dry yeast (1/4 oz. size or 2 1/4 tsp.)
1 cup warm milk (105º to 110º F.)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour

For the filling:
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

For the icing:
1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup (2 oz.) cream cheese at room temperature
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon whole milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Prepare the dough:
Dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
Mix together the sugar, butter, salt & eggs. Add flour and milk and mix well
Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands lightly dusted with flour. Put in a bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place about an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough flat until it is approximately 21 inches long and 16 inches wide. It should be about ¼ inch thick.
Preheat oven to 400º F and position a rack in the middle.

Prepare the filling:
combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Spread the softened butter evenly over the surface of the dough, and then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar evenly over the surface.

Form the rolls:
Working carefully from the top (a 21 inch side), roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
Cut the rolled dough into 1 ¾ inch slices and place 6 at a time, evenly spaced, in a lightly greased baking pan. Let the rolls rise again until doubled in size (about 30 min.). Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden on top.

Prepare the icing:
While the rolls bake, mix the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed. Add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, then add the milk and flavorings. Mix on high speed again until the icing is smooth and fluffy.
When the rolls come out of the oven, let them cool for about 10 minutes, then coat generously with the icing.

4 comments:

  1. yay! yayayayayay! i'm so excited you posted something!

    also, now i have to make these. thanks for making me and my fetus fatter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo! another foodie blog! you're totally going on the blogroll.

    that is one perfect looking cinnamon roll. i must make these more often...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That looks incredible! Zach just saw and asks that when you go to Dallas to help deliver Amanda's fetus that you head there by way of Abilene and make these! LOL... I am definitely going to try these. (On the weekend of course)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for reading, ladies. makes me feel all special-like. and these are incredible! i was completely satisfied with my first cinnamon roll making experience!

    ReplyDelete