Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Grasping for Recipes, Waiting on Spring

Meatballs. I haven't made them in like a year and I desperately need to jazz up my use of ground beef, so meatballs were the way to go tonight. In the past I've browned then baked my meatballs, but I like finishing them in the sauce way better..fewer dishes, duh. Also in the past, I've always combined ground pork and beef, but we're going for simple here. Speaking of simple, for my sauce I used two cans of  Hunt's Basil Garlic and Oregano Tomato Sauce. Hunt's should totally pay me for promoting their product to the three people who read my blog. Whatever. This was a yummy little supper.
Spaghetti and Simple Meatballs

1 lb ground chuck
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (i used panko)
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup milk
2-3 Tbs oil
1/4-1/3 cup stock (i used beef)
3 cups prepared marinara sauce
1 lb spaghetti

In a large bowl place ground chuck, garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley, parmesan, seasoning and milk. Mix with hands until combined. Roll the mixture into tablespoon sized balls. I got like two dozen. In a large skillet heat oil on medium high heat. Brown the meatballs well on both sides. You may have to do this is two batches...I did. Remove the meatballs to a paper towel lined plate. Add the stock to the pan and scrape up all the bits stuck at the bottom. Add the prepared marinara, stir it around, then add the meatballs back in. Reduce the heat to medium low and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, shaking/stirring occasionally. While the meatballs are finishing, bring a big ol' pot of water to a boil and cook that spaghetti and drain. Spoon some meatballs and sauce over the pasta. Top with parmesan. Spaghetti and Meatballs. The end. I even took an awful picture, see:


2 comments:

  1. I have to try the whole "milk in the meatballs" thing because I think mine are dry and that just might be what's standing in my way to juicy meatballs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these were especially soft and juicy.. i guess because i finished cooking in the sauce. im sad that i just now remembered to make meatballs for winter meals..but i'm not sad that winter is over(ish).. they'll be first on my list when the cold comes back!

    ReplyDelete