Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thai Pork and Noodles

I want to apologize now for the photo you will see at the end of this post. I realize none of my pictures are pretty, but something about the lighting combined with improper plating combined with a crappy camera made this one especially bad.


That being said, this was absolutely effin' delicious and I can't wait to eat it cold for lunch tomorrow. Slowly but surely I've been introducing some Asian ingredients into some of the foods Billy will actually eat. I was a little nervous about the fish sauce as the smell can be a little off putting (I love it..but remember how Billy is all picky and stuff?). Thankfully he was playing video games while I cooked so his brain was too concentrated on killing the enemy to smell the fish sauce. He gobbled it up and so did I. I sprinkled some red pepper flakes on top of mine because I'm spicy like that. I think when I'm done typing this I'm going to have a few more forkfuls from the fridge.


Thai Pork and Noodles
recipe adapted from Food Network Magazine, April 2011

1 cup fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
juice and zest of 1 lime
2 slices peeled ginger, rough chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 jalapeno peppers, diced (and seeded if you dont want the heat)
2 Tbs chopped onion
3 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs brown sugar
4 Tbs canola oil
1 lb thin boneless pork chops, sliced into very thin strips
1/4 lb green beans, split lengthwise
8 oz wide Thai rice noodles

In a food processor or blender combine the cilantro, lime zest and juice, ginger, garlic, jalapenos, onion, fish sauce, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of water until pureed. Bring a pot of water to a boil, then remove from heat. Add the rice noodles and allow to soak until tender yet slightly firm. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet or wok, heat 3 Tbs canola oil, add about half of the cilantro puree and fry for a minute or so. Add the pork and stir fry over high heat until done, maybe 4 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove pork and set aside on a plate. Add the last tablespoon of oil to the pan and stir fry the green beans for a minute or so then add the noodles, pork, and two tablespoons cilantro puree or more to taste. Turn off heat and toss everything together quickly. After plating, individuals can add more cilantro puree to taste, if it isn't all mixed in the dish already :)



3 comments:

  1. aha, good play, sneaking the fish sauce in!

    I got Erik to eat it by hiding it in a bowl of chicken pho. I was also almost attacked by my cats when I spilled it on myself accidentally. Fish sauce is dangerous. Don't ever let anyone tell you it's not.

    Looks delicious, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time I spilled some on my purse at a Vietnamese restaurant. Needless to say, I had to throw that shit away.

    I'm so excited about this..I mean its not all fancy or anything, but I just never get to eat stuff like this! I can't stop sneaking into the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome to my world of covert Asian foodstuffs. :)

    ReplyDelete